Monday, May 19, 2008

Remote Presence

This is an article written on Remote Presence. When reading please keep in mind that Yumper is a Canadian, not a stupid moron who constantly places a random "u" in every other word.

Remote presence (RP) is the ability to project your awareness away from your physical self. Remote presence uses many and sometimes all of the five senses, if you are lucky you'll be able to see, hear, feel and smell your surroundings. For example, if you RP to your local mall's food court, you will be able to see people buying their food, hear the multiple conversations taking place, smell the nauseating deep-fried chicken and feel the temperature and the drafts of the food court. Also, if you are any good at sensing, you can feel the various forms of shields that people can create.

My most common use for Remote Presence is to check in on my friends. A few times after leaving the party and taking a bus home, I sometimes became nervous about my friend getting home. Sometimes she would not come onto the Internet, and it would be too late to call, so I would become very nervous for her safety. I would then calmly RP to her house and check in on her, usually finding her to be grounded off the computer for returning so late.

Remote Presence can also be used to communicate. To communicate simple messages with people I RP to them and telepathically send the message. I only use this method for simple things like "I'm going to be late" I would not rely on this to tell someone that their house is on fire, or that my car just got towed. Quite often if I am bored or feel like visiting a friend I just RP over to them and give them my message. Sometimes depending on the person they are able to pick up on the message, other times it goes unnoticed.

So most of you are probably reading this thinking, "This stuff sounds pretty cool, but how do I do it?" Well, here is your answer. I start off by relaxing all of the major muscles in my body. I tense them up then relax them a few times. After this I am left feeling pretty loose. I usually roll my shoulders and take a few deep breaths. For me to be successful in RP I must close my eyes. This allows me to focus only on one topic rather than two. Once calm and relaxed I visualize myself floating in a dark place. I then see a carbon copy of me being peeled off my original. This carbon copy slowly gains awareness. Once I fully separate, I send my awareness away from myself. I move my awareness like I move my physical body, without putting much thought into it.

Travelling while performing Remote Presence can be done a number of ways-you can walk, fly or even teleport. For travelling I use the "Just do It" method because the movement comes very naturally to me. Since it would be pretty impractical for me to walk all the way to Russia (if I was ever going to RP there) I change my visualization. Instead of seeing myself being peeled off directly infront of me, I see myself being peeled off in the area I am trying to RP to. For example, while trying to describe my technique I decided to RP to a donut store that was very familiar to my friend, eversosleepy. Since eversosleepy lives on the other side of the country, I RPed to this donut shop where I described in detail the people working, the lighting of the store, the weather and the store's surrounding area. Although this technique works well for me, it may not work for everyone who attempts it. I suggest giving this a try and not giving up, eventually you'll get the hang of it.

My favourite experience when performing Remote Presence is the feel I get when my awareness relays the information back to my physical body. When I decide to walk around my feet begin to feel like they are falling asleep. When I "fly" around I can feel my stomach rise and fall as if I was on a roller coaster. These feelings can become rather intoxicating and addictive, so make sure you have plenty of time to practice this skill.

One of the first exercises I did to practice RP was to slowly peal only my arm and feel my face, chest or what ever else was in arms reach. I noticed that if I accidentally placed my "arm" through an object my physical arm would tingly and sting a little with pain. I believe this is because my arm is receiving the information through biofeedback, and is actually using the inside of my arm to feel.

For about the first month that I practiced RP, I had little to no sight while in RP state. Most things were a very dark blue colour and everything seemed fuzzy, like I had rubbed my eyes and then tried looking around. (This can cause the feeling of nausea so please be careful). It is quite normal in my experience that vision takes a little longer to perfect compared to the other senses. After practice my vision slowly got less and less distorted. I learned not to rely on my vision, but on my memory of the vision, because then I was able to quickly recall all I had seen, and it was almost crystal clear.

Although Remote Presence can be very fun, we must be aware of not becoming sick. Once my vision increased I would obtain very vivid images and everything would be moving in a fast spinning blur. After that I would get a feeling of vertigo and feel sick for a few minutes. I stopped practicing and the feelings slowly went away.

Now that I've given you a way to perform Remote Presence you must come up with ways to practice it. One way I practised was by RPing to a partner's house and describing it using many adjectives. However, when describing be careful of Analytical Overlay (AOL). AOL is when you may see something and begin to analyze what you see, this contaminates the results. For example if I see the colour yellow and decide to describe a banana. Not only does this improve your RPing abilities, it can improve your partner's sensitivity. Your partner can tell you from which direction you entered and possibly what you felt like.

Remote Presence is a very useful and fun psionic skill to develop. I hope this article was helpful in explaining the skill and how to use it and practice it. Just remember that it can cause you to feel uncomfortable and sick, and may take time to master, but practice makes perfect. Thank you for reading.

No comments: